Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Day 1 of Traveling: Not Great but Not My Fault..

6:53 am EST: First off, our travel agent forgot to mention that my tickets to Madagascar (through New York and Johannesburg) were on separate reservations… meaning that my bag can only be check through to Jo’burg and I will have to get it, go through customs, re-enter through the security line and catch my last flight to Tana in roughly an hour and a half. It is 6:30 am NY time as I write this and I am far too early for my flight to get to talk to any representatives. The SA Airline counter in the terminal doesn’t open until 9:00 am and so I am now through security hoping that I can find any representative of SA airlines to find any help.

Flight here wasn’t too terrible, however I happened to be sitting directly behind a crying baby! I still managed to grab a 3 or so hour nap and am gonna try and tough it out until my flight to SA. At least I wasn’t the guy next to me! Not only did he have that crying baby to deal with but the overhead compartiments were full and he had to stick his larger carry-on between his legs! And the guy next to him actually slept on his knees with his feet under the chair in front of him and his torso and head resting on the seat bottom. I had never seen that strategy but it honestly did not look too comfortable. It’s a little early but I may just go and try and find a bar. I’ll update as I can.

7:25 am EST: I found 20 minutes of free wi-fi complementary of AmEx but after that, gotta pay. Still no SA agents and even worse, the bar isn't open! btw, I promise/hope that my blogging will get a lot more interesting once I get to Africa.. Now I am going to start watching either "Bored to Death" or "Boardwalk Empire" thanks to my cousin Matt. I definitely shoulda stole more of his TV shows tho...

2 comments: